attiecattieblog@gmail.com

Friday, April 2, 2010

Funds on Friday

EDIT- The gang over at Fuzzy Tales makes a good point - if we just send the munnies we are not positively sure what they's being used for, SOOOOO my mommeh and I will take their advice and purchase all the supplies ourselves, then send them to the shelter. There will be pictures of our shopping trip posted when the ChipIn is done! Thanks, guys!!! (Also, please be sure to tell me who is donating - my mommeh and I have actually received a few verreh generous chip-ins already this morning, but no kitteh's names are attached and we need to know who to give the awards to at the end so leave your names and bloggie links in the PayPal note!)

Well my birfday is coming up at the end of this month you guys, and I'd like to talk to you about my gift. This year I have decided to be verreh un-selfish for my birfday. Instead of buying me presents, I have asked my mommeh to use the munnies to make a donation to the local animal shelter.

I am a verreh lucky, verreh spoiled girl. My mommeh rescued me from a bad place, and now I have all the toys and treats I could ever need. The pups and kittehs at the shelter though... not so much. They are all verreh sad, in cages, waiting and hoping that some bean will come and take them home before their time runs out. My mommeh knows all about it - she went to this particular shelter to get my older woofie bruvver, Denny The Incredible Pekingese. (Denny lives in North Carolina now with my grampa, and he is also verreh lucky and spoiled, wif good foods to eat and all the toys and love he wants, and it almost did not happen - the day my mommeh chanced to walk in and adopt him was the day he was scheduled to be put to sleep.)

My mommeh was telling me all about this place, called the Hempstead Animal Shelter, and how sad it is, and how the poor kittehs and pups have verreh little toys or treats or blankies. And so I took our conversation to heart, and I have made up my mind to give away my birfday munnies to our bruvvers and sisters there, and make what might be their last days a little more sweet and comfortable. And just maybe one of the toys bought wif our munnies will bring a sparkle to a kitteh's eye that wasn't there before, and might draw some bean's attention to adopt him. Originally I had considered giving my birfday munnies to North Shore Animal League, which is a no-kill shelter, but all the animals there are guaranteed to find a home and they already receive so many donations... I thought this place could really use the help more.

So on the sidebar is my ChipIn, and you can click it to make a donation through your PayPal account. Since my birfday is April 29th, the ChipIn will be open until May 1st. I did not know how much to put since I have never done a ChipIn before, so it is set for $500, but I am sure any donation would be heartily welcomed. I know times is tough for everybuddy right now, but every little bit will help make our furrends at the shelter a little more comfy and happy, so please, absolutely no donation is too small - pennies can make dollars. And just so everybuddy knows, we will not be visiting the shelter to give the munnies or taking any pictures - it is just too sad - so only donate if you trust us because we will not be able to give you any proofs. My mommeh and I will be making the donation to the shelter anonymously, because we do not want any recognition, we just want to help, so there will be no big hoo-ha when it is done, but oh boy will it feel good.

P.S. - I am creating a special award for anyone who donates!!!

16 comments:

  1. Attie, that's a *wonderful* thing to do. Just make sure your mom knows where that money goes--if she gives money (instead of donating toys, etc.), will it be used for the cats and dogs? Will it go for staff salaries? Will it go for euthanasia costs? High kill shelters spend a LOT of $$ on euthanasia. There have been reports in the news about the management mess that some shelters in our province are in. I used to donate supplies to a regional shelter--would buy them myself, including treats and toys--and take them in. (I give money monthly now, but I know them better now.) If your mom isn't 100% certain the money raised will go directly to the animals, she might want to consider doing the same thing--buying supplies, toys, etc.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Attie, you are such a thoughtful and kind kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very kind thing to do and a very worthy cause, Attie, and are happy to play along. We think that Kea makes a good point about checking out what the funds are used for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea, Attie! We just ChippedIn! We are purring for everycat and everywoofie to find their Forever Homes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and great advise...yep, always make sure where the money goes. We got it on our calendar to ChipIn later in the month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Attie, we chipped in a small amount (still trying to pay off vet bills from months ago).

    Check their web site for a list of needed supplies, and if they don't have one, call and ask. (Unless you are donating just toys and treats and canned food.) The shelter I used to buy supplies for had very specific requirements in terms of *some* supplies, like LATEX-free gloves, NON-lemon scented dish soap, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea - we donated to our local shelter on Mom's birthday! We did it in memory of a woffie friend who went to the Bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Attie, that is really sweet of you. We see some shelters with photos of pets with a bed and toys and then there are those like our local one. It's county run and anything donated to them, even toys or leashes or soap or whatever, would disappear and never be used for the animals. The place is dark and the cat cages small. No beds, no toys. It's sad they spend their last days so lonely, scared and bored.

    So we understand your desire to help and we are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Attie this is so sweet of you! It makes our mom so sad to think that those animals will be put to sleep - she is very sad that there are so many this happens to. It is just wonderful that you are going to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Attie that is very sweet of you to donate to the shelter. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attie, you are beautiful and generous, what a lovely thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice thing for you to do, Attie! We know the kitties and puppies at the shelter will really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Attie
    It is furry nice to meet you.
    That is such a generous thing for you to do we are pawstruck.
    We are sure that all of kitties and woofies will enjoy any and all of your donations...

    purrs
    >^,,^<
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such a generous and thoughtful kitty. Kudos to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very generous, Attie. This is a great idea. I will see if I can scare up some money to chip in later this month.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a mew at the beep! *beeeeeeep*