attiecattieblog@gmail.com

Monday, July 23, 2012

Back Again, With Bad News.

Hello kitties and friends, unfortunately it's Mommeh here again.  Just as things were settling back to normal AND my mac was replaced for free (yay), the cats are at it again.  But this time I fear it's my fault. 

Yesterday evening I brought Attie outside with me on her leash and harness, which I do somewhat frequently, and it's never been an issue before.  But she must have stepped on or passed through some scent that Audrey doesn't care for, because just a bit after I brought her back inside, BAM, Audrey went right for her, claws swinging.  I feel terribly guilty that it seems to be my fault that this all has started again, but I honestly wasn't expecting any kind of reaction just because Attie was outside for 10 minutes, 15 tops.  I do this often in the nice weather.  Audrey has never really shown any interest in going outside, but Attie likes it on occasion, and so I bring her out for a little sit or a little stroll every now and again.  Never once upon her return indoors has Audrey raised any kind of a fuss.  But this time she must have felt something was somehow amiss and she attacked, pretty visciously.  And you all know she has big huge claws, but Attie was declawed before I rescued her, so this playing field is not level.

So here we are again, cats separated.  We attempted to get Attie smelling "right" by keeping her in the bedroom overnight with her pink beddie and surrounded by things that smell like both cats and humans.  You know, all the regular smells of the house.  But when we tried again this morning to get the two together, Audrey again went straight for her.  And so I shut Audrey away in the spare room while I went to work for a few hours, leaving Attie with the run of the house, even though I don't know how long it took her to stop vibrating and venture out from under the sofa.  Thankfully I am off work early today, so I'll be using the rest of the afternoon to attempt to fix this.  I just got home and double-dosed both cats with Attie's alprazolam.  (Try not to worry about that, Attie takes a teeeeeensy weensy dose, and I did make sure to call the vet to check on weights and safe dosages.)  I'm currently waiting for it to kick in and take effect.  So basically, and call me a bad cat mommy if you have to, my plan is to dose them dopey, get Audrey into the harness so she can't chase after Attie, and then attempt to get them back in the same room without incident.  Because another 3 months or whatever it was of that separation and rotation is just not going to fly here.  I'll tell you guys it was a major strain on our household and honestly we don't think we can take it again.  Last time this happened we tried valiantly every trick in the book and nothing worked but medicating finally.  So I'm skipping all the rest and going straight there, which sucks and I really do hate it, but if this isn't fixed we will wind up losing a cat, which would break my heart to pieces.

14 comments:

  1. My guess is that Audrey associates seeing Attie outside as an intruder cat. Good luck with today, and don't feel bad about the meds. I have two that need them, forever, in order to remain here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paws crossed that things work out - I wish I had more suggestions, but it sounds like you are doing/ have been doing everything you can about this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Katnip Lounge say sounds very plausible. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu do the best you can and I can fully understand what you said about the strain of the last time. I wish to heavens I knew why on EARTH that is going on! Just WHY does she feel compelled to DO that but we don't know and we never will. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We agree with what Katnip Lounge said. We're purring that things settle down quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are sorry to hear it has blown up again and hope medicating them will restore peace. As you say, it is not the ideal solution but the alternative is 2 unhappy cats and an unhappy mum which is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are keeping you in our purrs.

    ((hugs))
    purrs
    >^,,^<
    ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll keep purrin hard fur this situation. We think you're doing the right thing. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. to quote Daisy, Rats! we sure hope everything will work out. we'll be purring for you, Attie, and Audry! hang in there!

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  10. poor baby hopeeveything is ok
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  11. When the peeps took in Gramma's cat, they had to keep her separated from Nicky. They didn't get along so they were kept apart. Life went on and they lived happily for years, each thinking they were an only cat. End of story. You may need to rehome Audrey for both their sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We know you are doing everything you possibly can to make this situation work. We are purring and praying that Attie and Audrey will figure things out. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could it be that Audrey is jealous of Attie going outside? Would it help to try taking her out there? Maybe that would equalize things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm kind of a crazy cat like that too. I can't handle ANY other cats. When I visit relative cats (which I do often) I'm not allowed alone in the same room with them because it'd end badly (for them lol). I also freak out when a stray comes up to the door or if I see one out the window. I just can't handle other cats! My mom wanted to get me a friend but she is too afraid I'd hurt it, which is fair. I think I'd be better around dogs. I was a rescue, so maybe I was traumatized as a kitten being around too many scavenger cats? Anyway, good luck!

    -Suki (Siamese Cat)
    www.ilovethesuk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a mew at the beep! *beeeeeeep*